One of the most challenging things for drivers is rain and fog. Reduced visibility and presence of other drivers necessitate one to have better car lighting. There are several changes vehicle manufacturer have taken to overcome weather challenges such as coming up with four-wheel drive cars, tires adapted for wet and rough roads, among other things. With regard to improving vision during foggy or rainy days, powerful fog lights will enable you to see the road ahead. It is always useful and safe to install the best fog lights on your car no matter the area you are in. However, they are particularly helpful when you are in areas that are prone to foggy weather.
When it comes to finding the best fog lights for semi trucks or car, there are many brands on the market, each one boasting of more features than the other. Because of the many options available on the market today, we found it wise to review for you the top 10 best fog lights on the market. We have also compiled a detailed buyer’s guide to help you choose the right fog right for your car or truck. We have also made a comprehensive buying guide about snowmobile gloves for you.
- Best Fog Lights: At A Glance
- Top 10 Best Fog Lights Reviews:
- 1. LASFIT H10/9140/9145 LED Light Bulbs
- 2. Sirius H8 Fog Light
- 3. Philips 12834UNIX2 X-tremeVision
- 4. SYLVANIA Performance Halogen Light
- 5. YITAMOTOR LED light bar
- 6. AUTOANDARTDriver and Passenger Fog Lights Lamps
- 7. Alla Lighting Super Bright H11 Fog Lights
- 8. Winjet WJ30-0125-09 Fog Lights
- 9. Northpole Light LED Light Bar
- 10. Nilight 2PCS 18W Driving Fog Light
- Things to Consider When Buying Fog Lights
- Different Types of Fog Lights
- How do Fog Lights Work?
- Installation of Fog Lights
- Frequently Asked Questions About Fog Lights
Best Fog Lights: At A Glance
Top 10 Best Fog Lights Reviews:
1. LASFIT H10/9140/9145 LED Light Bulbs
If you’re looking for small but really bright LED light bulbs, then these high-powered bulbs from LASFIT could be what you are looking for. The two bulbs consume 60 watts and can deliver up to 7600 lumens per pair. This offers the best value for money.
The installation is pretty simple because it is just like a push of the button. The plug and play installation will take no more than 30 minutes even if you are a complete newbie. LASFIT has done a really good job illustrating the entire installation procedure in a language even a layman can understand.
Many drivers complain of dark spots clouding their vision, particularly when driving at night. With these high-focus bulbs, you do not have to worry about that because they allow for a farther lighting area. To ensure long lasting performance, this series of LED bulbs are designed with Air-Flux cooling system which has been integrated with 9000 RMP fan.
Worried about your bulb housing being small? These have built-in ballast to save space. Better yet, they have been designed to facilitate heat due to high speed dissipation system and dual turbofan. The good news about these lights is they come with a one year of warranty which just shows how durable they are. Besides, if you are dissatisfied with their capabilities, LASFIT offers a 45-day money back guarantee.
- Installation is pretty simple to save time and money for installation
- Consumes 60 watts and delivers up to 7600 lumens/pair
- Small in size in case you are worried about fitting in your bulb housing
- Built-in ballast to save space
- Has Air-Flux cooling system and integrates 9000 fans to control heat
- Comes with a 1-year warranty and 45-days money back guarantee
2. Sirius H8 Fog Light
Combining durability and affordability, SiriusLED H8 Fog Light could be a great choice for you. These top-rated fog lights boast 6 LED chips each, with a combined brightness of 800 lumens. This allows you to drive with ease in the dark with no dark spots or irritable foggy light. What’s more, they still provide enough intensity with their 6000 K temperature. The bulbs also feature a glass lens which is a highly efficient and refractive condenser.
The company used a variety of lightening chips in one bulb to offer more density of the light to ensure more visibility. Moving forward, the lights feature a four-sided design which enhances the quality of fog light produced. The LED fog lights come in a set of two bulbs with a fresh white shade that is perfect for a dull and dark environment.
Regarding the material, they are made from an aluminum alloy housing which ensures enough durability and protection. If you do not prefer to use the DIY route, this company makes it easier for you by designing an original base design which ensures more cooling and prevents corrosion. With a pocket-friendly price and a 1-year warranty, it becomes easier to test them yourself to decide. Installation is ridiculously easy and should take no more than 10 minutes.
- Made of a solid alloy of aluminum to ensure durability
- Has 8G alloy LED which ensures long life span and stable output
- The glass lens is highly reflective
- Features pure white light output to ensure brightness
- Has a 4 sided design to enhance light reflection
3. Philips 12834UNIX2 X-tremeVision
Here is another great choice by Philips which will turn heads with its stunning illumination. This model ticks all the boxes for being stylish, long-lasting and features the most cutting-edge technology. It produces a crisp white color which allows you to see further hence preventing any hazards from occurring on the road. With the X-tremeVision model, you can have maximum visibility with 6000 K High Power LED lighting.
Another nifty feature that enables this product to stand out is the patented SafeBeam technology. This ensures that light is directed at the road rather than into the eyes of other drivers. Thanks to the introduction of these lights, you can keep yourself and other drivers safe. Philips adds a 3-year warranty which demonstrates just how durable this product is. In fact, the company says it has a 12 year expected life expectancy.
- Maximum visibility featuring 6000K high power lighting
- Designed with SafeBeam technology which ensures light is emitted at the road
- Has a 3-year warranty to show how durable it is
- 12-year expected life expectancy
- The optimal thermal design ensures that LED’s are cooled efficiently
4. SYLVANIA Performance Halogen Light
Looking for a super cool model of fog lights for your small truck? These headlights work really well in dark areas. Their brightness level and length of transmission stand out, and they fit great. Their color temperature is 4,200K and features a light intensity of 1,500 Lumens. Made of a cobalt blue coating, they provide an optimal light output when combined with Xenon gas. The crisp white light makes them ideal for traveling in foggy and darkened areas.
The package has 2 bulbs which are relatively cheaper than HIDs bulbs. Besides, they have a lifespan of around 250 hours, are quite bright and nearly as intensive as HID bulbs. Some customers worry that the immense bulbs are only suitable for off-road use, but luckily, they are completely legal for streets. Better yet, they are available in over 6 socket types. Their installation is easy and only takes a few minutes.
- Bright halogen light up to 1,500 lumens
- Made of cobalt blue lighting combined with Xenon gas for optimal light output
- They are street legal and DOT compliant
- Crisp white light is included
- Easy to install
5. YITAMOTOR LED light bar
When going for an off-road journey, you need the right set of lights to illuminate your way, especially during dark hours. YITAMOTOR LED light bar lighting system offers exceptional performance when traveling the unlit cross country. The 4 inch round lighting device comes with 9, 3W high-intensity LEDs with a 6,000K color temperature. This makes the light bar ideal for driving at night as it offers an extended field of view. The body is made of die-cast aluminum which makes it long lasting. The model is waterproof, quakeproof and dust resistant.
For use in remote locations, the LED bulbs come with white light and emit 27, 000 lumens for a better view. You don’t have to worry about breaking down soon as the lifespan of the unit is 50, 000 hours. To get better heat dissipation, the LED light bar is designed with 1070 aluminum alloy. Aluminum also has the best sealability for the heat sink. This model features adjustable mounting accessories which allow it to adjust to about 90 degrees. This makes it easier to adjust the direction of the light beam.
It is compatible with almost any vehicle including Jeeps, tractors, trailers, 4X4, golf carts, SUVs and boats to mention a few. The product has many indoor and outdoor uses from garden lighting, backup light, backyard lighting, reverse lights and more.
- It is super bright with a total of 27W and 6,000K color temperature
- Made of aluminum housing which is strong and durable
- Have 50,000-hour life to last long
- Made of 1070 aluminum alloy for better heat dissipation
- Has adjustable mounting accessories which enable 90 degrees adjustment
- Compatible with many vehicles
- Has multiple uses, e.g. reverse lights, backup light, construction lighting, etc.
6. AUTOANDARTDriver and Passenger Fog Lights Lamps
This product is designed for all Dodge Pickup Truck users out there. It can be daunting to source a fog light which works as a direct replacement for your truck’s worn out lights. AUTOANDARTS offers these high-quality lights that won’t die out in a couple of weeks. This company regards durability and uses only premium components to prevent corrosion and ensure you use the product longer. What’s more, you don’t need to dig too deep into your pocket to acquire these lights.
It can be fitted to Dodge 1,500 pickup (2002-2008 model), Dodge 2500 truck from 2003 to 2009 model and Dodge 3500 pickup (2003 -2010). This unit offers a variety of amazing features and meets DOT standards. You get a 1-year warranty just to try them yourself and decide whether you like it them or not. The installation process takes hardly 20 minutes because it is plug and play. Besides, you can easily adjust the height according to your requirement.
- A direct replacement for various Dodge Pickup Trucks including Dodge 1,5oo, Dodge 2,500 and Dodge 3,500
- Easy to install with play and plug
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- It meets all safety standards and is DOT stamped
7. Alla Lighting Super Bright H11 Fog Lights
If you like really bright lights for your car, this fog light will suit you. With a voltage of 12 and shining at 2000 lumens, your car will be a spotlight on the road.
Alla light LED fog lights have intense brightness; that’s why they are normally installed in cars that drive off-road and in special car repair shops. This makes them the best fog lights for semi trucks that drive through the deserts and unoccupied areas. In repair shops, experienced experts use them as they can help them see through engines and other areas of the shops.
Installing it is a breeze thanks to its universal design- in most cars, you will find out that it is plug and play installation. However, even if your car has different mounting brackets as the one in this Alla Light LED fog lights, the issue can be easily solved at a car service shop.
- It is made of aluminum material which is ideal for keeping the bulb cool
- Has a play and plug design and thus easy to install for most vehicles. Some European vehicles may call for installation of load resistor to avoid blinking issues
- Comes with one-year warranty from the manufacturer for defect
- It suits H16, HII, H8, H8LL, H11LL, led fog lights bulbs among other
- These fog lights are super bright and produce 2000 lumens making them ideal for semi-trucks
8. Winjet WJ30-0125-09 Fog Lights
Do you own a 00-06 Tahoe or Chevrolet Silverado and would want to fit it with powerful floodlights? Then, Winjet WJ30-0125-09 is your best bet. Designed for use by these two Chevrolet models, these fog lights boast of solid construction and striking design. They produce relatively powerful light as they can generate a maximum light output of 2500 AMPs. This is enough to light up your front path during extremely dark nights and when weather hampers your vision.
If you want to upgrade your fog lights to something brighter, this could be your best choice. They have a gorgeous matte-black finish that is protected by a cover.
These lights are approved by OEM, meaning they have met the quality standards.
- They are extremely simple to install because of the installation videos provided
- They are an exact match to those fog approved by OEM
- The front cover provides protection to the chrome reflector to keep it untarnished
- They have a durable construction that keeps dust and moisture from getting into the housing
- Winjet offers a 1-year limited warranty which means you can use this fog light in peace knowing that you are covered
9. Northpole Light LED Light Bar
This light bar from Northpole offers great illumination and has a color temperature of 6000 white light. It is one of the best fog lights for bikes and cars, with a brightness of 1980 lumens. One of the main highlights of this light bar is its tough build quality which enables it to withstand vibration caused by driving on rough terrains.
As with many high-quality light bars for bikes and trucks, this LED light bar is made from high-grade aluminum to enable to cool down easily. It has an IP67 rating for dust proofing, waterproofing, and protection against rust and corrosion. The mounting brackets are adjustable, easy to use, and are made from high-quality materials.
It is versatile and therefore can be used with different vehicles.
- It is fitted with anti-corrosive casing to protect the bulbs
- Has a voltage capacity of 10V-30V which can apply to different types of off-road vehicles, trucks, SUV, 4X4 Jeeps, and heavy equipment
- Has a longer lifespan of 30,000 hours and thus will serve you for a long time
- This LED light bar has a color temperature of 6000K and produces 1980 lumens of power
- It comes with a 12-months warranty from Northpole
10. Nilight 2PCS 18W Driving Fog Light
This is one of the best fog lights on the market due to its wide variety of features. In addition to its substantial size of 4.8 inches, this fog light bulb consumes lesser energy as compared to most fog lights in its capacity.
It produces a flood light with beam patterns and has an intensively bright spot beam thanks to its concentrated illumination. Besides, it is made of a die-cast aluminum alloy material that provides cooling to the lights.
The temperature-lowing design of Nilight 2PCS 18W enables it to last for a long time (30,000 hours). Dust guard is to its construction to guarantee long-lasting efficacy.
- It emits bright white light with a concentrated spot beam to help you see clearly in foggy weather
- Comes with adjustable mounting brackets for easy installation
- Has an IP67 rating, waterproof up to 3.3 feet and is effectively dustproof
- It is made from die-cast aluminum allow for effective cooling
- Its packaging comes with 2PCS LED light bars and mounting brackets
- Has a universal fit that can fit most vehicles
Things to Consider When Buying Fog Lights
When shopping for the fog lights for your car, you will come across different terms describing the features of different lighting models. You will need to know what each of these terms means to help you choose the right fog lights for your car. Here are important terms/factors you will need to keep in mind when choosing the best fog lights for bikes, semi-trucks, or any car you may have;
One of the first things to consider is compatibility. Fog lights are mounted on car bumpers, which means you have to check if your car has bumper spaces for fog lights. Some cars have unique bumpers that make it challenging to install a fog light.
Therefore, before buying fog lights, conduct a visual inspection of your car to make sure the fog lights can be installed on it without issues. You should also inspect the sockets to ensure that you are buying the right fog lights for the sockets on your car bumpers.
Other compatibility factors to check include ensuring your car has enough current and voltage for the lights. However, this should not be an issue if your car doesn’t have many other devices connected to it.
If you have a newer European car, then you may need to install a load resistor to prevent flickering.
2. Color temperature
Color temperature, in this case, refers to the fog light’s tint, which is measured in Kelvins. Color temperatures of lower than 3,000 Kelvin contain more amber or yellow and are referred to as warm. Higher values of more than 6,000 Kelvins contains blue and are generally cool.
Most fog lights have an average color temperature of 5,000-6,000 Kelvins. Because of their blue color content, this temperature causes eye strain and produces very brittle images. If this raises a concern for you, you can consider a yellow or amber fog light as these do not stain the eyes even after prolonged usage.
s the amount of light a bulb produces and is usually measured in lumens, which indicates light intensity. The higher the lumen value, the more concentrated the light will be.
Fog lights lumen value range from 1000 to 3000 lumens. The average brightness is between 1,500 and 2,000 lumens. Keep in mind that the more the brightness produced, the pricier a fog light will be.
4. Cooling features
Because of the brightness they produce, fog light produces a lot of heat. While this is not a problem for HID and halogen bulbs, LED bulbs are usually made using materials that withstand excessive heat. This means you need to check if fog lights have in-built cooling features.
Since most fog lights produce an average of between 1500 and 2000 lumens, their cooling needs are not as enormous as those of LED headlight bulbs producing 8,000 lumens, for instance.
However, you will still find manufacturers installing a better cooling system in their LED fog light bulbs to make them long-lasting.
5. Safety features
This includes bulb’s housing and presence of features such as ingress and shock protection. The reason you should check for safety features is that LED chips are manufactured using fragile materials, which make protecting them important.
Avoid LED light bulbs with less than ingress protection rating of IP-67, although you will find some with lesser ingress protection ratings like IP-65. With an IP-67 rating, it means that neither water nor dust can affect your bulb easily.
6. Ease of installation
Besides considering the features of a bulb, you should also make sure that it is designed in a way that makes installing it on different vehicle types easier.
Vehicles come with different socket types for their lighting system, and thus you need to buy a bulb that has a corresponding plug that fit perfectly into your car headlights area. If you get a bulb with a matching plug, then you are assured of plug and play installation.
With these factors in mind, you will be able to buy the right fog lights for your car. Now, let’s discuss the various types of fog lights on the market.
Different Types of Fog Lights
There are different types of fog lights on the market. And while most of them are designed to illuminate the front part of the road, there are also rear fog lights that help to make your car visible to other vehicles moving in the same direction as yours.
However, overall, here are the types of fog lights you will find on the market at the moment;
- LED Fog Lights
These fog lights utilize light-emitting diodes which enables them to generate less heat and use less power than other types. They are more efficient as compared to the rest and also tend to have a lengthier lifespan because they are damaged by heat. This means you will not have to replace them more often. What’s more, they tend to be more pricy than halogens and can be tweaked to produce different colors. This helps you to see clearly even in poor weather conditions.
- HID Fog Lights
As with the case with HID headlights, you can get fog lights emitting high-intensity lights, known as HID. They utilize xenon gas powered by an electric charge. These too have no filament to burn and thus have a long lifespan. They are more durable than halogen lights. In terms of brightness and power, these fog lights have intense brightness and are fairly efficient.
- Halogen Fog Lights
Most car manufacturers who include fog-lights in their cars use halogen light and thus are typically common to find in most vehicles. They are much more affordable and don’t last as long as HID and LED fog lights. Also, they are not as bright as other forms of lights. Most people prefer them because of their affordability.
How do Fog Lights Work?
As it is obvious, fog light works differently than standard driving lights or headlights. They are also different from common bulbs. Sometimes they can be installed in the lower bumper or grille, while other times, they can installed on the bumper or roof of the car.
Of course, they should be angled downwards so that the light doesn’t reflect off the rain, snow, or fog and back to your eyes. This is why you should not use high-beams when driving in foggy conditions. These lights do not pose a threat to oncoming drivers as they do not dazzle lights to them the way high beams lights do.
Fog lights produce a flat and wide beam of light to help you illuminate the front area of the road that is hard to see during foggy or snowy weather. Also, their bright light helps drivers to see load markers as well as road signs.
They help penetrate fog or heavy rains by producing a bar-shaped beam that is focused. The best thing with fog lights is that their beams do not pose a risk to other drivers.
Installation of Fog Lights
A fog light kit usually comes with universal mounting brackets designed to fit onto your car bumper or behind the grille.
If you have a bull bar or grille guard mounted on your vehicle, you will find pre-existing holes on the tubular bar sections whose sole purpose is to help with mounting lights. If they are no pre-existing holes, you can use drill bits designed for metal since they can handle higher levels of heat buildup. Make sure to use a drill bit of the size specified by the manufacturer. This is to avoid drilling bigger holes than those corresponding to the washer and nuts of your fog lights as this will cause them to be loose and wobble.
After making the holes, place the fog light mounting bracket and secure all nuts in place. Mount the fog light onto these brackets then wire them appropriately.
Frequently Asked Questions About Fog Lights
Q-1: What is the best color of fog lights?
The choice of color of fog lights depends on the owners’ preference. However, the debate between white and yellow fog lights is as intense as led fog lights vs halogen lights debate. Both colors have their strengths and weakness. Below is a brief explanation of both colors to help you decide the best for your car.
- Yellow fog lights
These have clearer vision especially in adverse weather like snow, rain, or heavy fog. There is a scientific theory behind this- the yellow color is easier for the eyes to process because of their longer wavelengths. If you are driving in snowy road, a yellow light will be more visible and less glaring because there will not be an as bright reflection as it would have been the case with white lights. This eases the strain off your eyes especially if you are going for long journeys.
On the downside, they are less effective and are not as bright as white fog lights. This makes them not ideal for a very heavy fog or rains.
- White fog lights
These are ideal for remote areas to help you see an expansive area. They are too bright and thus can blind other drivers. That’s why they are ideal for off-road driving.
The downside of these lights is that they can make you feel sleepy because of a phenomenon known as ‘glare’ (blue lights cause unsolicited beams). This is caused by their short wavelengths which makes it hard for human eyes to process.
The choice of fog light colors depends on the location you often drive in and personal preference.
Q-2: Do fog lights affect other drivers?
- Yes. When they are incorrectly used, their dazzling nature can affect other drivers. However, when fitted properly, they do not affect other drivers. To avoid causing temporary blindness to other drivers on the road, adjust your car headlights accordingly and turn them dim or off when approaching other vehicles.
Q-3: When is the best time to use fog lights?
- You should use fog light when driving in conditions where visibility is severely reduced- that is when you can see more than 100 meters. Remember to switch them off when you get to an area where there are better lighting conditions.
Q-4: Are fog lights legal?
- Well, this depends on your location. According to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, rear fog lights should not be equipped with cars in the US. Unfortunately, many drivers in the US do not know what these are. Rear fog lights are bright, red, and are used in poor visibility. This allows other people driving your way to see your vehicle.
- In different states, there are different legal requirements, but one thing is common; you should not dazzle other drivers or road users.
Q-5: Do I need a professional to install fog lights on my car?
Well, this too depends on the nature of the fog lights that you go for. If you buy plug and play fog lights, then it will be easier to install them in your car, and you might not need a professional. However, if you go for fog lights that do not fit into the pre-existing holes in your lighting sockets on your car, you might need to call a professional to install them for you, especially if you are not a handyperson. But generally, most are easy to install.
Fog lights are an important part of your car as they will help you see better in situations where visibility is poor. Most of them, especially those with LED lights, is a better choice because of their energy efficiency nature and durability.
Therefore, if your vehicle is fitted with bulbs that have high and low beams in one unit, ensure that that you buy any of the best fog lights we have reviewed in this post. When purchasing, remember to consider several things such as color, installation process, safety measures, and personal preferences. Any of the above fog lights will give you more clarity, more light focus, and longevity. Would you like to read our review about ratchet straps?